Sunday, October 01, 2006

Sieze The Moment



I have a friend who lives by a
this three word philosophy
SEIZE THE MOMENT
just possibly she may be

the wisest woman on this planet
many people put off something that
brings them joy just because

they haven't thought about it
don't have it on their schedule
didn't know it was coming
or are too rigid to depart from their routine
I got to thinking one day about all
those women on the Titanic

who passed up dessert at dinner that
fateful night in an effort to cut back
from then on I've tried
to be a little more flexible
how many women out there will eat at
home because their husband didn't
suggest going out to dinner until
after something had been thawed?
does the word refrigeration mean
anything to you?
how often have your kids dropped in
to talk and sat in silence until you
finished watching your television program?
I cannot count the times I've called
friends and family and said
hey, how about going to lunch in a half hour?
they would gasp and stammer I can't because
I have clothes on the line
my hair is dirty
I wish I had known yesterday
I had a late breakfast
it looks like rain
and my personal favorite
can't I got too much to do
some of these people have since died
and I never did get to have lunch with them
it's because people the world over
cram so much into their lives
we tend to schedule our own headaches
we live on a sparse diet of promises
we make to ourselves

when all the conditions are perfect
we'll go back and visit the grandparents
when we get Stevie toilet-trained
we'll entertain when we replace the carpet
we'll go on a holiday or a second honeymoon
when we get the kids out of college
life has a way of acceleratingas we get older
the days seem to get shorter

and the list of promises to ourselves gets longer
one morning we will awaken

and all we'll have to show for our lives
is a litany of
I'm going to
I plan on
and someday when things are settled down a bit
and one of these days
ah yes
one of these days
when anyone calls my seize the moment friend

she is open to adventure
available for trips

she keeps an open mind on new ideas
her enthusiasm for life is contagious
you talk with her for 5 minutes
and you're ready to trade your bad feet

for a pair of roller blades and
skip an elevator for a bungee cord
my lips have not touched ice cream in 10 years
I love ice cream
it's just that I might as well apply it
directly to my hips with a spatula

and eliminate the digestive process
the other day I stopped the car and
bought a triple-decker
if my car had hit an iceberg on the way home
I would have died happy


now go on and have a nice day
do something you want to
not something on your should do list

No comments: