Thursday, October 05, 2006

I went to a party,
Mom,I remembered what you said,
You told me not to drink, Mom,
So I drank some soda instead.
I really felt proud inside, Mom,
The way you said I would,
I didn't drink and drive, Mom,
Even though the others said I should.
I know I did the right thing, Mom,
I know that you were right,
Now the party's finally ending, Mom,
And everyone's driving out of sight.
As I got into my car, Mom,
I knew I'd get home in one piece,
Because of the way you raised me,
To be responsible and sweet.
I started to drive away, Mom,
But as I pulled out into the road,
The other car didn't see me, Mom,
And hit me like a load.
As I lay here on the pavement, Mom,
I hear the policeman say,
The other guy is drunk, Mom
And now I'm the one who will pay.
I'm lying here... I'm dying, Mom,
I wish you'd get here soon.
How could this happen to me, Mom?
My life just burst like a balloon
There's blood all around me, Mom,
And most of it is mine,
I hear the medic say, Mom,
I'll die in a short time.
I just wanted to tell you, Mom,
I swear I didn't drink,
But many others did, Mom.
The ones who didn't think.
He was probably at the party, Mom,
At the very same one as I.
The only difference between us is,
He drank, and I will die.
The guy who hit me is walking,
Mom,I don't think it's fair.
I'm lying on the pavement dying,
And all he can do is stare.
Tell my brother not to cry, Mom.
Tell Daddy to be brave
And when I go to heaven, Mom,
Put "Daddy's Girl" on my grave.
Someone should have told him, Mom,
Not to drink and drive.
If only they had told him, Mom,
I would still be alive.
My breath is getting shorter, Mom.
I'm becoming very scared.
It's a comfort to have you near me, Mom.
When I need you, you're always there.
I have just one last question, Mom,
Before I say good bye.
I didn't drink and drive,
So why am I the one to die?

3 comments:

Shahrzad said...

hi there,

What a nice idea behind this poem. If all could teach their kids how to behave, then we'd have a much better place to live in.*HUG*

Debnosus said...

Triste realidad, los que no debemos sufrir, sufrimos, y los que deben de pagar por sus actos, no lo hacen. pero es como dicen, la vida no es facil, pero hay que saber como vivir para que sus dificlutades no nos derroten

----
cruel reality, the ones who dosen`t have to suffer, are the ones who suffer the most, and the ones who have to pay por their acts, dosen´t do it. but remember, that life is a dificult task, we must know how to live, so life can´t defeat us

jc said...

Nice post...
I remember this one... from my blogs...